Cold cucumber soup is an easy-to-make, refreshing, and flavorful cold soup. Perfect to serve as an appetizer, side dish, or for a light, healthy main dish.
A Delightfully Healthy Cold Soup
Cold cucumber soup was one of my dad’s favorite summertime soups. He always requested it for lunch when he’d stop by my house during the summer.
I taught him how to make it, so he could add it to his very limited repertoire of recipes, all super easy and healthy.
Throw all the ingredients in the blender and this simple, tasty chilled cucumber soup is ready in just minutes.
Use a full-fat Greek yogurt for a great no-cook, low-carb, and keto-friendly appetizer. Each 1/2 cup serving has only 5 carbs.
This cucumber soup recipe is also vegetarian and gluten-free, making it a nice healthy lunch or light dinner.
This is also the perfect recipe if you’ve got a bumper crop of cucumbers! Light and refreshing, it’s the perfect summertime sip, especially on a sultry day.
How to Make Cold Cucumber Soup
To prepare, peel and slice the cucumbers.
Next, “sweat” the cucumbers, by sprinkling them with salt, to get rid of excess water. While it sounds counter-intuitive, the salt brings some of the moisture to the surface.
Rinse the salt off with water and pat the cucumbers dry. While this step isn’t crucial, especially if you’re going to be eating the soup right away, I think it makes for a thicker and creamier soup.
Put the yogurt, cucumbers, dill, and all of the other ingredients into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
Adjust the seasonings. Since the cucumbers will have salt on them from the sweating process, wait until after blending to check seasonings.
Chill the cucumber soup for at least an hour before serving.
Some of the items used in this post are available at my Amazon store.
Cold Cucumber Soup
- 2 cups Greek yogurt plain, full fat
- 2 cucumbers peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- lime juiced
- 1-3 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Lay sliced cucumbers on a sheet pan covered with 2 layers of paper towel. Salt cucumbers liberally. Let them “sweat”, about 20 minutes, to release moisture.
- In a blender or food processor, add cucumbers, yogurt, shallot, garlic, fresh dill, lime juice and ground cumin.
- Puree until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Check seasoning and add salt if necessary.
- Chill at least an hour before serving.
- Makes 3 cups
Try more delicious cold soup recipes:
Vichyssoise chilled leek and potato soup.