Best potato salad ever – I am not joking! This potato salad recipe is easy to make, creating a creamy potato salad that will become your favorite summer side dish!
When Cheryl M. brought 20 pounds of homemade potato salad to serve 120 hungry high school choir kids at church this past Spring, it truly was a labor of love. She and Gary peeled 20 pounds of potatoes themselves! After all that work, I had to sample it.
I usually don’t like most potato salads since they’re often too sweet for me. Grocery store deli potato salads are usually just plain awful. There are two schools of thought on the potato peeling method; peel first, then boil or boil first then peel. I’m in the “boil, then peel” group, but whatever your method, this is a great recipe!
One bite of Cheryl’s potato salad and I knew I could never make my potato salad again. Hers was the best potato salad I had ever tasted!
Sophie and I talked about it for the rest of the day. I immediately emailed Cheryl and begged her for the recipe. I didn’t need to beg too hard before she graciously shared her recipe with me. Apparently, I wasn’t the only person who loved it, because the next time she made it, she wisely brought a dozen copies of the recipe. Everyone else who raved about the ‘best potato salad’ received a copy!
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 4 bunches of green onions white and green part, sliced thinly
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped finely
- 1/3 jar of Del Monte Sweet Pickles chopped finely (this is her secret ingredient)
- 1 dz. hard boiled eggs chopped.
- Best Foods mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes a cut them into even sized pieces. Boil in salted water until done.
- Chop the parsley, pickles and eggs in the food processor (or by hand)
- Place the onions, pickles, parsley and eggs in a large bowl.
- After draining the cooked potatoes, immediately put them in the bowl. Mash the potatoes until they are broken up into small chunks. (This is where I use my hands)
- Add salt and pepper, mayonnaise and pickle juice to taste
Looking for more Potato Dishes?