Crab cakes are quick and easy to make, perfect for an appetizer or a main dish. These crab cakes are served with a tangy lemon tarragon mayonnaise that is so delicious, you may find yourself licking the spoon clean!
I am Cancer, the Crab, water sign. Sometimes I feel...
I am Ocean
Ruled by the moon
Ebb and flow
Sometimes wild, sometimes calm.
But sometimes I wish I were a…
Safe in the open sea…away from the crashing, chaotic shore.
Teak hulled, brass fitted sailboat.
Quiet at night, waves splashing against my sides, lulling me to sleep, ’til dawn comes and I can unfurl my sails again and chart a new course.
Ketch me if you can.
or maybe I am…
What I am now, is not what I was.
Rough edges worn smooth.
No longer transparent…Opaque.
Ahh, but I could be a…
Twisting, spiraling, maze-y shell.
Hold me up to your ear and I will whisper
A siren’s song.
Or maybe I am just…
In between your toes…
Under your skin…
Tickling your nose?
Crab is my absolute favorite seafood. Feed me a plate full of Alaskan King Crab legs and I am putty. Is there anything more romantic? You cannot rush a crab leg dinner…each appendage must be cracked and the meat pulled out with a tiny two-pronged fork. What’s left in the little leg? Well, there’s only one way to get out that last bit of meat. Did I mention butter? Drawn butter? Dribbling down your chin. Phew! Now what a disappointment this will be!
Crab Cakes aren’t very romantic, but they are a tasty, reasonably healthy version, of the kid friendly “fish stick”.
I started with Paula Deen’s recipe, adding more veggies, switching the “dusting of flour” for panko bread crumbs to make them more crispy. Make a Lemon-Tarragon Mayonnaise to go with them. Easy enough for a week-night meal. Use your best tool, your hands, to carefully mix all the ingredients together!
Enjoy your crab cakes!
Crab Cakes with Lemon Tarragon Mayonnaise
- 1 lb. crab meat picked free of shells (If you can't find fresh, you can buy this in a can in your grocery store chiller with the fresh seafood)
- 1/3 cup crushed Ritz crackers about 8...I counted and measured
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnnaise
- large egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs or flour for dusting
- Peanut oil for frying
- For the Lemon Tarragon Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt to taste
- Gently mix everything together, except the bread crumbs or flour, with your hands.
- Form into patties, (about 1/3 cup mixture per patty)
- Coat in Panko bread crumbs or dust with flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, about 1/4" to 1/2" oil until shimmering.
- Fry crab cakes in batches, 3-4 at a time, cooking about 4 minutes per side.
For the Lemon Tarragon Mayonnaise
- Place all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Chill until ready to use.
The Lemon Tarragon Mayonnaise would be great on poached salmon too!
Looking for more seafood dishes?