Pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes are the perfect sweet autumn treat. Moist cupcakes, full of pumpkin flavor, studded with chocolate chips and a swirl of cream cheese frosting on top.
Yep, tomorrow’s the first full day of Autumn and I can barely wait, so I’m starting just a few hours early. I love fall and everything about it! The smells, the colors and naturally the pumpkins.
When my mom first told me about Duff’s (The Ace of Cakes) Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake, I couldn’t understand how it could be his most popular cake recipe. I guess I’m a bit of a purist and didn’t want anything coming between the pumpkin and its’ spices. Lo and behold, that was before mom brought in a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes and we put them to the family taste test. Ok, so I was wrong. Not only do pumpkin and chocolate marry well, they might just be a match made in heaven. Instead of using Duff’s buttercream, mom topped them with her Cream Cheese Frosting, which has just a hint of orange.
Mom made a couple of changes to the recipe and I tried to simplify the recipe for a home cook.
So here is mom’s slightly adapted recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 5 ounces 10 Tablespoons, unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup cake flour can use all regular flour too
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners
- In mixer on low speed, combine sugar and butter until well mixed, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, baking powder, spices, salt and flours
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla and egg whites. Stir the pumpkin puree into the whites just until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and the pumpkin mixture to the egg and butter mixture, using about 1/3 of each mixture, and mixing each time, just until incorporated. Mixture should be blended and even in color.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
The Cream Cheese Frosting can also be used on other delicious desserts:
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixer fitted with a blade, beat butter and cream cheese until well blended.
- Add vanilla, orange juice and zest.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, scrapping down the sides as necessary, beating until well blended.