Herbed Vegetable Potato Pancakes are perfect for brunch, party appetizers, or a side dish. Top them with Smoked Salmon and Lemon Chive Cream for an elegant appetizer.
Spencer would eat potatoes for every meal, every day of his life Potatoes are one of my pantry staples for sure. For appetizers, main dishes, soups, and side dishes, there is probably no more useful vegetable than the potato. There is pretty much no wrong way to prepare a potato, either. Boiled, mashed, roasted or fried…all good! (This post was originally published on September 10th, 2013, and has been updated to contain nutritional information. As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.)
We had some “small plates” the other night in a local restaurant. One of the dishes was potato pancakes with smoked salmon. That was my inspiration for these Herbed Vegetable Potato Pancakes. Of course, you could add other vegetables too. I made some without the smoked salmon as well. These are a perfect little vehicle for smoked salmon or just as is with the Lemon Chive Creme Fraiche. They’re also gluten free.
Here are the ingredients for Herbed Potato and Vegetable Pancakes.
They are few, simple, and real. You can use regular or gluten free flour, but I prefer to use chick pea flour. Also know as ‘besan’ flour, it’s a great substitute for regular flour in savory dishes.
Shred the onion, potato and zucchini in a food processor fitted with a medium sized blade. I always start with the onion to prevent the potato from browning. Transfer the shredded vegetables to a colander and squeeze to remove excess liquid. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, flour, salt and black pepper together. Add herbs and shredded vegetables and stir well to combine. Heat a heavy skillet to medium with about 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Squeeze excess liquid of potato mixture and fry, pressing gently to flatten cakes. Flip and continue cooking until they are golden brown and cooked through.
For the Lemon-Chive Cream, mix sour cream, 1 Tablespoons finely minced chives, lemon juice and zest together. Chill until ready to serve.
Some of the items used in this post are available at my Amazon Affiliate Store.
Potato, zucchini onion and thyme pancakes with smoked salmon and lemon-chive cream. Nutritional information is for pancakes without smoked salmon.
- 1 large potato about 12 ounces, unpeeled
- 1 medium onion
- large zucchini about 8 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chick pea flour gluten free or regular flour can be used
- 1 Tablespoon thyme chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chives finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Olive oil to fry
- In a food processor, using a medium sized blade, shred veggies, starting with the onion, to prevent the potato from browning.
- Transfer shredded veggies to a colander and squeeze the vegetables to remove excess liquid.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, flour or gluten free flour and seasoning together. Add herbs and potato and vegetables, stirring well to combine.
- In a heavy skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Squeeze excess liquid out of potato mixture, and fry, pressing gently to flatten cakes. Cook 2-3 minutes, depending on thickness, then flip and continue to cook until cakes are golden brown and cooked through.
- For Lemon-Chive Cream, mix 1/4 cup sour cream,1 tablespoon finely minced chives, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest together.