Dark chocolate s’mores trifles are single serving desserts made with creamy Kahlua-spiked chocolate mousse, graham crackers, and toasted marshmallow. Delicious, impressive and they’re beautiful, too!
I’ve been to a couple of those, “A Taste of…” charity fundraisers in the past month. Both times, a local restaurant brought teeny, tiny s’mores sundaes in teeny tiny cups. I knew I had to make Dark Chocolate S’mores Trifles of my very own. Their version has a layer of chocolate mousse instead of a bar of chocolate. I’ve been working on my own version, but wanted to zip it up a bit and make it perhaps, a bit more “adult friendly”.
So, instead of the standard Chocolate Mousse, I added a bit of Kahlua, and some dark chocolate chunks. The recipe is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated’s version, but I definitely used Ghiradelli’s 60% dark chocolate as recommended. Since traditional S’mores are soooo sweet, I wanted a darker, less sweet mousse to balance the marshmallow component.
I did have a few of my daughter’s friends sample the dark chocolate s’mores trifles, so I left the Kahlua out of half of them. To brown the marshmallow topping, use a small kitchen blow-torch, or place under the broiler for a minute. (Of course you should use oven-proof containers!)
This is the dark chocolate chunk mousse recipe, the base for the dark chocolate s’mores trifles.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Mousse
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate divided (I used a 10 ounce package of Ghiradelli bittersweet 60% chocolate chips)
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder preferably Dutch-processed
- 1 teaspoon instant espresson powder you can substitute very strong coffee
- 5 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon brandy I used Kahlua, plus extra Kahlua for drizzling
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons chilled heavy cream
- Melt chocolate 8 ounces of chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso powder, water and Kahlua or brandy in a bowl in a double boiler or over a pan filled with barely simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and salt in a medium bow until mixture lightens in color and thickens slightly, about 30 seconds.
- Pour a small amount of melted chocolate into egg mixture and whisk, continue adding and whisking in chocolate until combined.
- Meanwhile, in a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites at medium low speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, increase mixer speed to medium high, and beat until soft peaks form.
- Using whisk, stir about one-quarter of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it; gently fold in remaining egg whites with rubber spatula until a few white streaks remain.
- In now empty bowl, whip heavy cream at medium speed until it begins to thicken, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form, about 15 seconds more.
- Add remaining chocolate chips.
- Using rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into mousse until no white streaks remain. Transfer into a bowl, cover and chill.
Whether you make them boozy or not, I hope you will enjoy the dark chocolate s’mores trifles.
Dark Chocolate Chunk S'Mores Trifles
- Crushed graham crackers about 5 sheets,
- 1 recipe Dark Chocolate Chunk Mousse
- 1 small jar Marshmallow Cream
- To assemble:
- Sprinkle 1-2 Tablespoons graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of each custard dish.
- Sprinkle with Kahlua
- Fill cups with Dark Chocolate Chunk Mousse
- Top with a generous dollop of marshmallow cream
- Using a kitchen blow-torch or broiler, brown tops slightly until golden brown, just a few seconds. Keep an eye on them.
- Sprinkle with more crushed graham cracker crumbs
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of Kahlua just before serving to each dessert.
Looking for more chocolate desserts?