These Gluten Free Bread Sticks are great for dipping or snacking!
With the football season coming to a close, it’s time to start thinking about Big Game parties and inevitably, the recipes you will make and bring to yours! In preparation, I’ve teamed up with my football blogger friends in one final collaboration to bring you some brilliant Big Game recipe ideas. We’ve made appetizers, entrees, desserts and even drinks. Prepare to be inspired, and be sure to check out their links below!
These Gluten free and (grain-free) Bread Sticks are made with garbanzo and almond flour. Garbanzo, or chickpea flour is used in Indian baking, and is the perfect, protein packed alternative to regular wheat flour. I found this recipe in the Wheat Belly Cookbook, but billed as a soft pretzel recipe. After working with the dough, and tasting the result, while delicious, did not really resemble pretzels, so I turned them into smaller, and easier to form, bread sticks. They have a texture more like a bagel, but that was just fine with the family! They are a nice accompaniment to a bowl of soup, or for dipping in olive oil or dips.
I added the the caraway seeds, which we all agreed was just the right touch. If you’re hosting a Super Bowl party, I’m sure you’ll be able to find something for everyone in this collection. These Gluten Free Bread Sticks are a great vehicle for dips, like this Herbed Goat Cheese Dip or Mushroom Spread.
Working with the dough is a bit trickier than regular dough, so it’s helpful to keep your hands moist while working with it.
You might need to add more chickpea flour to achieve a workable consistency.
Try sprinkling the bread sticks with other seeds or spices, like sesame seeds or sunflower seeds.
Gluten Free Bread Sticks
- 1 1/2 cups water 100-110 degrees F.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) instant (rapid rise)
- 2 cups garbanzo bean chick pea flour (you may need more)
- 2 cups almond meal/flour
- 1 cup ground golden flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher alt
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Coarse salt and caraway seeds to sprinkle on top.
- Olive oil for coating a work surface.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk the water and yeast until the yeast dissolves. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the garbanzo bean flour, almond meal/flour, flaxseeds, and kosher salt. Add the melted butter, and stir to combine. Add the yeast mixture and mix on medium for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until all the ingredients are mixed and a loose ball of dough forms. (You may need to add up to 1/2 cup more garbanzo flour) See photos.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand in a arm place for about 1 hour, or until the dough increases in size ( it will not double like traditional dough).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silpat, silicon baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, water, baking soda.
- Lightly coat a work surface with oil. Turn the dough onto the work surface and knead a few times to bring the dough together. Divide into 24 pieces, and roll each piece into a ball.
- Roll each ball into a 5"-6" bread sticks. Brush each bread stick with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and caraway seeds.
- Bake for 25 mites or until golden brown and slightly firm to the touch.
Classic Potato Salad by Celebrating Family
Chili Cheese Burritos by Love Bakes Good Cakes
Fruit Spring Rolls with Key Lime Cheesecake Dip by Body Rebooted
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders by Dash of Herbs
Mediterranean Seven Layer Dip by The Culinary Compass
Chicks in a Blanket with Apricot Sauce by Mom’s Messy Miracles
Jalapeno Pale Ale Chili by Beer Girl Cooks
Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread by The Life Jolie
Sausage Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Feast + West
Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls by Family Food on the Table
Mini Bacon Ranch Cheese Balls by Honey & Birch
Cookie Dough Cheese Ball by Bread Booze Bacon
Hawaiian Pizza Jalapeno Poppers by Love & Flour
Meatloaf Sliders by Foodtastic Mom
Wonton Taco Cups by A Mind Full Mom
Pancetta and Smoked Mozzarella Arancini by The Secret Ingredient Is
Bean and Cheese Taco Bites by The BakerMama
Monte Cristo Poppers by See Aimee Cook
Chile Beer Sangria by Cake ‘n Knife
Low Carb Stuffed Crust Pizza by Sustaining the Powers
Puff Pastry Pizza Bites by The Mexitalian
No Churn Pistachio Baklava Ice Cream by Club Narwhal
Roasted Jalapeno Poppers by Off the Eaten Path
Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Hello Little Home
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Wings by Around My Family Table
Gluten Free Bread Sticks by What A Girl Eats
Cheesy Beef Dip by Polka Dotted Blue Jay
Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs by The Crumby Cupcake
Greek Meatballs by Two Places at Once
Baked Taco Empanadas by Simplify, Live, Love
Cheese Sticks by Coffee Love Travel
Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatballs by West via Midwest
Puff Pastry Bacon Pizza Twists by 2 Cookin Mamas
Skillet Chicken Queso Dip by foodbyjonister
Spicy Sausage Rolls by Peanut Blossom
Protein Dark Chocolate Truffles by The Creative Bite
Chickpea Pepper Cheese Poppers by Bucket List Tummy
Maple Cranberry Apple Sangria by Order in the Kitchen
Meyer Lemon Shandies by The Speckled Palate
Game Day Fried Deviled Eggs with Chow Chow Relish by For the Love of Food
Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls by Simple and Savory
Pimento Mac and Cheese Squares by Lauren’s Kitchen
Pastrami Nachos by A Little Gathering
Shrimp Ceviche Dip by Glisten and Grace
Football Bourbon Balls + Boozy Lemonade by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Apple Cider Mimosas With A Sparkly Sugar Rim by And She Cooks
Pulled Pork Stuffed Corn Dogs by Nik Snacks
Easy Pepperoni Rolls by Me and My Pink Mixer
Real Boneless Chicken Wings by Macheesmo
Califlower Tater Tots by Living Well Kitchen
Cheeseburger Naan Pizza by Shaws Simple Swaps
Red Velvet Ginger Rum Balls by Cafe Terra
Crab Rangoon by Brunch-n-Bites
Sweet n’ Spicy BBQ Popcorn by Life’s Ambrosia
Buffalo Chicken Rolls by Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Crowd Pleasing Steak Fajita Dip by Lizzy is Dizzy
Sriracha Hummus Pinwheel Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
Simlple Meatball Sub Sliders by Loaves & Dishes
Maple-Mustard Bacon Chicken Bites by An Oregon Cottage
Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese & Honey Mustard Dipping Sauces by A Simpler Grace
Ricotta Stuffed Sausage Meatballs by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen