Grilled caprese panini sandwiches are a delicious, easy-to-make meal. Mozzarella cheese, basil pesto, and tomatoes are tucked between 2 slices of sourdough, then grilled on a panini press.
We love our panini press. We used to call these fancy Italian sandwiches grilled cheese, but panini sounds so much more continental!
Whether you use a panini press, or grill your sandwich the old fashioned way in a skillet, this grilled sandwich is the perfect comfort food.
Pair it with a bowl or cup of creamy Tomato Soup and you’ve got the perfect lunch.
This grilled caprese panini is the grilled cheese version of a Caprese Salad.
You can make your own pesto from scratch, or purchase it in the deli section.
I chose mozzarella cheese, but provolone would be delicious too.
Grilled Caprese Panini
- 2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread (I like sourdough)
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons homemade or store-bought pesto
- 2 slices fresh tomato
- Olive oil
- Brush both sides of bread with olive oil, (inside and outside)
- Spread pesto on insides of both slices.
- Add slices of cheese and tomatoes.
- Press between a panini press or in a hot pan, pressing down. Flip sandwich and continue cooking until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.