Mongolian beef is a flavorful and easy weeknight dinner recipe, made in less than 30 minutes!
I’m always looking for dinner recipes that I can make in under 30 minutes for those crazy-hectic work days when I’d rather spend less time in the kitchen and more time with my family. Cooking Light is one of my go-to food magazines for quick and healthy meals. This Mongolian Beef dish from December 2009, comes together quickly and the prep time is minimal. If you keep a few basic Asian ingredients in your pantry, stir-frys are great week-night meals.
All the ingredients can be purchased at most large supermarkets. Using just a pound of meat and stretching it to serve four, makes this slightly more expensive cut of beef more affordable.
Serve the Mongolian beef with cups of warm miso soup and rice noodles or steamed white rice.
For a gluten free option of Mongolian beef, substitute the soy sauce for tamari.
30 Minute Mongolian Beef
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek fresh chile paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 Tablespoons minced peeled ginger
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound sirloin steak thinly sliced across the grain
- 2 bunches green onions cut into 2 inch pieces
- Combine first 8 ingredients; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Heat peanut oil in a large wok or sauté pan over medium high heat. Add ginger, garlic and beef; sauté 2 minutes, or until beef is browned. Add onions; sauté 30 seconds. Add soy sauce mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve with rice noodles or rice.
Looking for more 30 minute meals?
30 Minute Chicken Tacos with Pickled Onions and Cilantro Slaw
Christina @ Christina's Cucina says
I am terrible at making Chinese dishes, not because they don’t turn out, but I never try them! This looks wonderful, and it’s so simple, I’m sure it tastes fantastic too. I really have to make an effort to make more quick Chinese food!