White chicken chili is a hearty, comforting stew, made with white meat chicken, corn, cannelini beans, chopped chiles, and spices. It comes together easily and inexpensively, making it a perfect weeknight dinner. When the weather gets chilly, have some white chicken chili!
Saturday, we hosted our church middle school youth group for a pumpkin carving party. Josh, the youth leader, supplied the pumpkins and carving tools, and we supplied the dinner.
I made white chicken chili the night before, so all I would have to do is heat it up in the Crock Pot, and make a salad.
For toppings on the white chicken chili, I put out shredded cheese, chopped onions, cilantro, sour cream, chips and salsa. We served the chili with a big green salad. Such a simple, hearty dinner, and with very little cooking effort. For dessert, we had Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.
The late night turned into an impromptu sleep-over, with three girls on the pull-out sofa in the den. That meant an impromptu breakfast of Pumpkin Spice Pancakes, bacon and fruit.
I got this white chicken chili recipe, originally called “White Christmas Chili”, from a friend, more than a dozen years ago.
It’s definitely not a spicy chili, so if you like more heat, add more chiles or chili powder, as desired.
Here’s the white chicken chili recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups cooked chicken white or dark meat chicken, about 2 large chicken breasts, shredded or diced
- 3-4 cups chicken broth depending on how thick you like it.
- 1 or 2 cans of chopped green chilies
- 2-3 teaspoons cumin
- 2-3 teaspoons oregano
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 4 cans of white beans either Great Northern or cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chili powder optional, depending on how hot you like it.
- Grated cheese sour cream, sliced or chopped onions, cilantro and chips to garnish
- Saute onions 3-4 minutes in a large pot, add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add everything else
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer on low until hot.
- Season to taste,