White chicken chili is a hearty, comforting stew, made with white meat chicken, corn, cannelini beans, chopped chiles, and spices. It comes together easily and inexpensively, making it a perfect weeknight dinner or game day meal.
Fall seems like the perfect time to enjoy chili. It’s also a great time to have a chili bar.
Make a Chili Bar
For toppings, put out shredded cheese, chopped onions, cilantro, sour cream, chips and salsa, and let the guests make their own bowls. Serve homemade cornbread and a big green salad on the side.
It’s such a simple, hearty dinner, and with very little effort. For dessert, how about Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes?
What makes white chili “white”?
I got this white chicken chili recipe, from a friend, more than twenty years ago. It was the first time I’d ever tried “white chili”.
This version use white chicken meat, white cannelini beans and chicken broth. Instead of chili powder and tomatoes, this recipe gets its flavor from cumin and oregano. If you want a really white chicken chili, you can use white corn instead of yellow corn.
It’s definitely not a spicy chili, so if you like more heat, add more chiles or chili powder, as desired. Canned jalapenos come in a variety of heat levels.
Can you make White Chicken Chili ahead?
Yes! You can make it the day before and just warm up on the stove or in a slow-cooker. It’s even better the second day.
Can you make White Chicken Chili in a crock-pot?
Absolutely! Add all the ingredients and set to low for 5 hours. Alternatively, you can make the chili and just keep in warm in the slow cooker or crock-pot.
Some of the items used in this post are available at my Amazon Affiliate Store.
White Chicken Chili
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups cooked chicken white or dark meat chicken, about 2 large chicken breasts, shredded or diced
- 3-4 cups chicken broth depending on how thick you like it.
- 1 or 2 cans of chopped green chilies
- 2-3 teaspoons cumin
- 2-3 teaspoons oregano
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 4 cans of white beans either Great Northern or cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chili powder optional, depending on how hot you like it.
- Grated cheese sour cream, sliced or chopped onions, cilantro and chips to garnish
- Saute onions 3-4 minutes in a large pot, add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add everything else
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer on low until hot.
- Season to taste,