Caramel apple tart is comprised of tart apples and creamy liquid caramel, baked inside of a puff pastry crust.
This might be the easiest dessert ever. Well, maybe the second easiest. I realized last week that I don’t have that many apple recipes on my site. Mom came to visit this past weekend and made an Apple Tart, and drizzled it with caram recipeel, which gives this classic French dessert a decidedly American spin.
While I had to make puff pastry in cooking school, it’s one of those recipes that is not for the faint of heart…enter frozen puff pastry. Just thaw, roll and bake. Ditto the homemade caramel…it’s definitely not difficult to make, but you can purchase delicious caramel to keep this tart recipe simple.
If you call a caramel apple tart by its traditional French name, Tarte aux Pommes, it’ll sound like you slaved all day to make it.
I won’t tell.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed in fridge
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons water
- Caramel sauce, either homemade or store-bought.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples, toss with lemon juice to prevent discoloration,
- Roll out thawed puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle puff pastry lightly with sugar. Arrange thinly sliced apples on top of pastry. Turn up edges of pastry to encase apples. Brush apple slices with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, (remaining 3 Tablespoons sugar with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon).
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Heat apricot jam and water over low heat stirring until smooth and jam is thinned. Set aside.
- Remove tart from oven and brush with apricot jam. Cool. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
I like the juxtaposition of the tart Granny Smith apples, plain puff pastry and caramel. The smallish, 4-bite, pieces make it a nice finish to a heavy Autumn supper. A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream would be perfect too! Click here for Homemade Caramel Sauce.
You might also be interested in: