Caramel apple tart is an easy autumn dessert, full of thinly sliced tart apples and baked inside of a puff pastry crust. (This post was originally published on September 15th, 2014. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases.)
Store-bought puff pastry
This might be the easiest dessert ever. Well, maybe the second easiest. To make this apple tart, simply roll out thawed puff pastry, layer with thinly sliced apples, then bake. After the tart cools drizzled it with caramel, which gives this classic French dessert a decidedly American spin. While I had to make puff pastry in cooking school, it’s one of those recipes that is not for the faint of heart…enter frozen puff pastry. Just thaw, roll and bake.
Homemade Caramel or store bought?
Ditto the homemade caramel…it’s definitely not difficult to make, but you can purchase delicious caramel to keep this apple tart recipe extra simple. I like to use this rolling pin with no handles. I also use Silpat mats for baking. They are made in France, (not china) and they last forever!
If you call a caramel apple tart by its traditional French name, Tarte aux Pommes, it’ll sound like you slaved all day to make it.
Caramel Apple Tart
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples, toss with lemon juice to prevent discoloration,
- Roll out thawed puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle puff pastry lightly with sugar. Arrange thinly sliced apples on top of pastry. Turn up edges of pastry to encase apples. Brush apple slices with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, (remaining 3 Tablespoons sugar with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon).
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Heat apricot jam and water over low heat stirring until smooth and jam is thinned. Set aside.
- Remove tart from oven and brush with apricot jam. Cool. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
I like the juxtaposition of the tart Granny Smith apples, plain puff pastry and caramel. The smallish, 4-bite, pieces make it a nice finish to a heavy Autumn supper. A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream would be perfect too! Click here for Homemade Caramel Sauce.
Some of the items I used in this post are available here for your convenience. (I receive a small percentage on any purchase which helps me offer free recipes for this site. Thank you!)
You might also be interested in: