Honey Cinnamon French Toast is a treat that everyone will love, for breakfast or brunch.
My 14 year old daughter, Sophie, is a crack-shot cook. Ever since she was old enough to hold a wooden spoon in her left-hand, she’s been cooking and baking. (You can see her making sushi here.) Cooking, she learned from me, baking, from my mom, (you can see her baking with my mom here). She also has a naturally gifted palate and a good sense of flavors. I always use her as a trusted taste-tester.
My husband will say, “I don’t know, but it’s just not quite right.” Sophie will say, “a little more garlic”, or “add a touch more thyme”. Last weekend she really wanted French Toast. By the time I’d gotten out of bed and showered, she’d already Googled and made this French Toast by Alton Brown. Not being one to pass up a perfectly good opportunity to blog a recipe, I quickly set up my camera, and started to shoot her breakfast.
Sophie wanted to know if I was going to “claim” this honey cinnamon French toast as my own. The answer is “no”.
This is Alton Brown’s honey cinnamon French toast recipe.
It’s adapted by Sophie, cooked by Sophie, and photographed by me.
Honey Cinnamon French Toast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 1/2-inch slices day-old sour dough bread
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, honey, salt and cinnamon. You may do this the night before. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup.
Looking for more Breakfast dishes?
It looks very beautiful. I love the taste of honey.